In this episode, Hailee is bewitched with the Culper Ring, George Washington’s secret spy ring credited with turning the course of the war and enabling an American victory. The Culper Spy Ring operated successfully in and around New York City for five years and the informants were never discovered. Even George Washington himself was unaware of their identities. Along with spies like Hercules Mulligan and James Armistead, the Culper Ring was responsible for preventing the plan of one of history’s most notorious traitors and saving George Washington’s life more than once. And yes, there will be Hamilton quotes.
- TURN, AMC
- Decoded – History Channel
- George Washington’s Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution by Brian Kilmeade and David Yeager
- Washington’s Spies: The Story of America’s First Spy Ring by Alexander Rose
- Agent 355 by Marie Benedict (Audible original)
- George Washington, Spymaster by Thomas B. Allen
- Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales by Nathan Hale
- Rebel Spy by Veronica Rossi
If you’re interested in purchasing the books mentioned in this episode, visit our bookshop.org affiliate shop
Allen, Thomas B. 2004. George Washington, Spymaster. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic.
Gould, Kevin. 2015. “Culper Spy Ring.” Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Culper-Spy-Ring.
History.com editors. 2009. “Revolutionary War.” History. https://www.history.com/topics/american-revolution/american-revolution-history.
Williams, Ph.D., Victoria. n.d. “Culper Spy Ring.” Mount Vernon. Accessed May 5, 2021. https://www.mountvernon.org/library/digitalhistory/digital-encyclopedia/article/culper-spy-ring/.